Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Popsicles - Episode 1











Back in North Carolina, my husband and I loved a little place called LocoPops. Homemade, gourmet popsicles really hit the spot on a hot summer day. I found myself longing for LocoPops when the heat in Middle Georgia first hit the 90’s. On that day, I decided I would try and recreate LocoPops in my own home.

I first debated method. Should I buy molds or do them myself? Being the DIY junkie I am, I opted for the later. I borrowed the DIY method from another blog, but decided to create my own flavors.

Episode 1 of my journey to make the perfect popsicle:

To create the molds, I cut parchment paper into triangles and formed those into cones. I sealed the tips using small marshmallows. I set up a frame for the popsicles, making a matrix out of rubber bands on a baking dish (see example photo from other blog). However, my molds would not stay standing between the marshmallow on the tips and the frame. I became frustrated and scrapped this idea. The spur-of-the moment back-up plan was to seal the tips by folding them over. I then took a large plastic drink cup and set 4 molds in each cup.

Method Rating: 4/10










Key Lime Pie Yogurt Pops

1 c. Greek or plain yogurt

1/3 c. Key Lime Juice

1 T. sugar

Popsicle molds

Wooden popsicle sticks

Whisk first 3 ingredients together. Pour into molds. Place sticks. Freeze for 6 hours.

You can substitute vanilla yogurt, but omit the sugar.

Flavor Rating: 8.5/10

So it may have occurred to you I might have had greater success using Dixie cups as my molds. True as it may be, I want to avoid spending money on Dixie cups. And only as a last resort will I buy Dixie cups or popsicle molds.

That being said, you can expect subsequent episodes related to improving popsicle methods and flavors.


No comments:

Post a Comment